The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Family Time

This last weekend was rather busy. Scooter and I ran errands all over, taking care of things that we had been putting off for awhile (including changing my cell phone carrier--yay for cheaper/better phone plans!). It felt good to finally get those things checked off my mental "to do" list. I also have family visiting--my cousin from Sweden, and my brother from upstate New York, so I've been spending a lot of time with them as well.

One thing that I'm glad that I had the chance to do was just have some hang-out time with my sister and younger brother (the one visiting from New York). The three of us haven't hung out together in a very long time. We ended up going to a nearby mall, as my brother was interested in getting more warm-weather clothing. I ultimately invested in some retail therapy myself, getting a couple of new outfits and a necklace that caught my eye. It was so nice to spend time not thinking about what I still have to read for class or what needs to be done at work (my two biggest worries right now). It was doubly nice to be able to spend the afternoon with my siblings, browsing through stores, joking, talking, and just enjoying each other's company.

And of course, I got some more cooking in. Scooter and I went to a local wholesale store and got a rack of lamb for a good price. And we made the Best Lamb. Ever. It was tender, beautifully rare, and of course absolutely delicious. So I will share with you the recipe that made it magic: Roast Rack of Lamb from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

What you'll need:
2 1- to 1 1/2-lb. lamb rib roasts (with or without backbone)
3 Tsp. Dijon-style mustard (I used honey Dijon)
3 Tbs. lemon juice
1 Tbs. snipped fresh rosemary (I used a little extra)
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. soft bread crumbs
1 Tbs. butter or margarine, melted

What you'll need to do:
1. Stir together mustard, lemon juice, rosemary, and salt. Rub onto the meat. In a bowl, toss together bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle onto all sides of the meat.
2. Place meat on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast uncovered in a 325-degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour for medium-rare meat; a meat thermometer should read 135 degrees. (For medium, roast for 1 to 1 1/2 hours; thermometer should read 150 degrees.) Remove from oven, cover with foil, and let sit for 15 minutes.
3. Slice the rib roast as desired and serve warm.

One thing to note: the original recipe calls for you to trim the fat from the meat before putting on the mustard rub. Scooter and I are of the opinion that leaving some fat adds flavor. My suggestion is to only trim off the fat that's grizzly when cooked. Using this recipe, our lamb tasted like honey-mustard butter, and it seemed to melt in our mouths. Do give this recipe a try--I hope you enjoy it as much as we did: there was nothing left on our plates when we were done!

No comments:

Post a Comment