The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day Not Just Commercial (At Least In My Case)

I am a girl lucky enough (at least I think so) to have been born on Valentine's Day. And while many people shake their heads at the excessive-ness of our society on this day, for me it's extra-special because it's also my birthday.

So forgive my segueway into something non-library or cooking related, but I couldn't let the day go by without a little mention about it--and a big thank you to my family and friends who have helped to make my day (and this last weekend) special. Scooter has really gone all out to spoil me. The flowers in the picture were delivered to work this morning for me from him.

One really good thing that has come of all this is that I was blessed to receive some very wonderful cookware and baking items--including a bunch of Wilton colors and icing tips to allow me to be really creative with my cake and cupcake experiments. I told Scooter this means I have the go-ahead to make lots of treats and sweets--which I can continue to post as I make them. Mother's Day this year may turn out some very creative desserts for my family's annual tea.

This week's recipe is one that Scooter and I created ourselves (and ate last night). It's relatively simple: foil-baked salmon. I would recommend a green salad and a good loaf of sourdough bread to go with it!

What you'll need:
2 large salmon fillets
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 lemon
2 Tbs. white wine
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
salt and pepper to taste

What you'll need to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash the salmon under cold water. Tear off two pieces of aluminum foil and lay them down, turning the top piece 45 degrees. Place a piece of salmon in the center. Repeat for the second piece.
2. Bring up the sides of the aluminum foil so the salmon is inside a little "bowl." Cut the lemon in half and squeeze one half over each piece of salmon, watching for any seeds (remove those if necessary). Add 1 Tbs. of white wine to each fillet. Sprinkle 1 tsp. of garlic powder and salt and pepper over each piece. Add half of the onions to each portion, sprinkling evenly over the top.
3. Gather up the ends of the aluminum, and fold and twist together to seal everything. Place into the oven directly on the rack (or on a baking sheet if you prefer). Cook for 30 minutes. Fish should be pale into the center and flaky.

Serve with rice or potatoes on the side, or keep it simple with salad and bread. The juices can be easily soaked up with a piece of sourdough. A nice citrus sherbert isn't too heavy and tastes really good after this light meal.

Enjoy!

Update @ 12:19pm: I found this while poring over Terry Pratchett's website for an update for the Reading Corner section of my blog. I couldn't resist adding it in.

I'm a Terry Pratchett Fan

No comments:

Post a Comment