The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Getting involved

I recently (about a month ago) became a member of the Friends of the Library group for my local public library. The last newsletter noted that the next meeting would be November 15th (last night). I joined the Friends partly because I wanted to do something good for our public library and show support through the fact of my membership, and partly I joined because I wanted to be more involved. It was probably the best choice I could have made.

My full-time job does restrict my ability to do big things with and for my library. My hours and my commute preclude me from being able to attend virtually all events at the library I would like to--they happen during the day when I am at work. I'm not able to participate in a formal internship at the library for the same reason. It requires too many weekly hours. Until technology allows me to be in two places at once, I have to say no to a lot of events and opportunities I wish I could say yes to.

Which is where the Friends come in. Last night's meeting was really enlightening and encouraging. It's wonderful to see "my" library doing so well (I was definitely feeling a sense of civic pride) and I was so glad to learn about some of the many things the Friends group does for the library. Being a library student, I learn about one side of the picture (the librarian's side), and I don't really get to learn about everything that happens on the community side. The branch manager attended last night's meeting and presented her "wish list" for the library for the next year--and all of it is being factored into the Friends' budget for next year. How incredibly lucky the community is to have the library, and how incredibly lucky the library is to have its Friends group. I feel so privileged to have a library that is doing so well because it really speaks to how much support its community provides.

I know a few library students that also work full-time and not at libraries. For those individuals, I would recommend getting involved with the local library's Friends group. As a member of the Friends, I can get involved and be active with the time I'm able to offer. I've already offered my services for the December booksale, and I intend to help out on both days. I'm only giving four hours of my time the whole weekend, and I get to start directly helping out my library (which I've wanted to do for some time now).

I'm really looking forward to future involvement with my library and its Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment