The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Life doesn't stop for school

Earlier this week, I was alerted by one of my siblings that my mother had had a little accident. She hurt her ankle and had to go to the emergency room to get it checked. The doctors determined that she had torn the ligaments in her left ankle and would need to be off it and using crutches for 5-7 days. She's currently doing fine, which is a relief (I don't like for loved ones to be hurt and in pain). Her ankle is still very obviously swollen, but she's been icing it to help with that and she's told me that she's able to put a little more weight on it every day. Overall, she's in good spirits but she's frustrated because of how limited she is with her ability to move around (which is completely understandable).

I was over to help her out on Tuesday, and I will be going over again today. This is the first of many examples I'm sure I will have over the next few years that there is no pause button for life while in school. Anything could happen at any time: illness, accidents, situations at work that require immediate attention. Any or all of these could take my attention away from school. My determination will be tested, and I hope that I can prove myself to be able to handle almost anything that comes along.

I've had many strong women in my family to light the way and be my role models. First and foremost is, of course, my mother. Her strength of character and caring heart are truly to be admired. She managed to be a full-time mom, run a household, and be a full-time student (I can't imagine how she did it).  However, Mom if you're reading this, you can't be Super Woman! Let others take care of you for now until you get back on your feet! And for the twentieth time (and I say this most lovingly), you're not a burden. I'm more than happy to help you.

I guess the lesson to learn is that even though life doesn't stop for school, that's only to be expected. I'll just take each day as it comes. It will be even more important for me not to procrastinate those big assignments that do require planning and research to successfully execute. It all goes back to those time management and organization skills that I have been lectured on and wrote about. I think it will also require communication with my professors; if I let them know from the onset that something is going on, they may be more willing to work with me and allow for some flexibility with assignment deadlines. At least this time, my school work is not really disrupted at all; however, it's always good to be prepared for the future.

Life goes on, and I can only follow. Next week's recipe will be posted on Monday as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment