The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Monday, August 30, 2010

I need my personal bubble!

I'm finding out how essential it is to create or set aside space to use for studying. It needs to be a place relatively free of distractions, and it should have enough open flat space for me to have room for my laptop, my binder, and my textbook. It would also need decent lighting or enough place for a small desk lamp. Ideally, it would also have room enough for my basic supplies as well (pens, pencils, highlighters, stapler, post-its, three-hole punch). Bonus points if there's wall space for me to tape/pin up reminders or important things to remember.

In all the excitement of starting school, this was the essential part of the planning that I missed. I didn't think to find a place for me to use for all the reading and paper writing I will be doing these next few years. And so, the first few days of the semester, I was playing guessing games, trying to figure out where I can go have lunch at work that I would be able to also use for studying and where I can work when I'm at home and want to study. I borrowed an empty office on Friday afternoon to have lunch and get some reading done. It was not a productive afternoon. The office shares a wall with a classroom that was being used at the time (I didn't find this out until I had been in there about 5 minutes); the person who works in that office also keeps his phone ringer at the maximum volume (I found that out after I had been in there about 10 minutes). Neither circumstance allowed me to keep my concentration for very long. I'm still trying to find out where I can go at work to study. I work in a library, but using it isn't an option; I don't have an office and as long as I am in here, I will be asked for assistance or to give information about the various services/activities that take place here. So the one place that students are able to retreat to I must shy away from. Fair? No, but I must find another option. What that is, I'm still not sure.

At least at home I have my workspace finally figured out. I spent Saturday night at my best friend's place and mentioned my study space quandry. "K" suggested that I try and use what I already have. She said that I should maybe try to use my kitchen table. Until yesterday, it had been a breeding ground for loose newspaper, bills, and old receipts. It is rarely used for its intended purpose. I hadn't considered that option until K mentioned it. After coming back home early yesterday afternoon, I immediately started cleaning off the table, pushed the table against the wall, and brought over some of my office supplies that had been boxed away until they were needed. Now I have something that resembles a desk/work space that I can use for serious study.

And of course I took the opportunity this weekend to cook and enjoy some good food. Sunday dinner (and this week's recipe) was green beans and sausage with some sourdough bread on the side. This recipe is one I created on my own. It's loosely based off of an Italian-style dish that my mother makes every Thanksgiving (and sometimes other days when my sister and I can convince her to make it again). This is a large batch, good for 4-6 people (I made extra for lunch today for me and Scooter).

What you'll need:
1 lb. sausage meat (loose, not in links)
2 lbs. green beans cut into inch-long pieces
5 8-oz. cans of tomato sauce
1/2 small onion, diced
5-6 large cloves of garlic
3 springs of fresh rosemary
3 sprigs of fresh oregano
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
3 sage leaves
1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil

What you'll need to do:
1. Put the garlic, rosemary, oregano, thyme, and sage into a wooden chopping bowl and chop them all up until everything is in small, fine pieces. You can also use a food processor for this step. Set the garlic-herb mixture aside.
2. In a large deep frying pan, cook the sausage meat over medium high heat until almost completely browned. Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
3. Add the olive oil to the bottom of the frying pan. Add the garlic-herb mixture and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and saute 2-3 minutes more, until the garlic is just barely starting to brown. Add the tomato sauce and stir to mix everything together. Let it cook 1-2 minutes, then add the sausage. Let the sauce simmer for another 5 minutes.
4. Add the green beans and stir to coat them with the sauce. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the beans are semi-soft (they should be slightly crunchy--not crisp--if you eat one). Serve hot with your favorite french bread on the side.

As you've heard me say about some of the other recipes I posted, this one is very adaptable. I love a lot of sauce, which is why I use 5 cans of it. You can cut back by 1 or 2 cans if you don't like your food to be quite so saucy. Also, you can omit the onions if you don't like them. I really recommend the fresh herbs like I used for this recipe; I sincerely believe that the flavor of fresh herbs is always superior to dried.

This is a true taste of Italian American cooking. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment