The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Oreo Cheesecake

I know that I promised my Oreo cheesecake recipe. Last year was the first time I made it. Scooter loves cheesecake, and I guess that it had been a tradition for his mom to give him a cheesecake on his birthday every year when she was alive. Last year, when I was planning his birthday party, he asked for a cheesecake. I told him to just tell me what kind he wanted and I would make it for his birthday. He chose Oreo cheesecake (the combination of his two favorite sweets), so on my computer I went to research some recipes.

My searching took me to several places, including Cooks.com where I found a couple of recipes that looked promising. I printed out three that I thought might be good, showed them to Scooter, and had him pick which one he wanted. Well Scooter, unable to choose one, asked for the crust in one recipe with the filling in another recipe. I took a stab at it (this was the first cheesecake I had ever made) and ended up with something that I have to admit tasted pretty darn good. His aunt and uncle were at his birthday party, and his uncle fell in love with that cheesecake.

Fast forward to earlier this month. When we were making plans to spend Thanksgiving with Scooter's aunt and uncle, his uncle mentioned that he would not say no to another cheesecake. To me, that's a big hint that says "please make that cheesecake again!" So into the kitchen I went to put together a cheesecake with the following recipe.

What you'll need:
20 oreos with the filling removed, crushed
1 stick of butter
2 lbs of cream cheese (left out until it reaches room temperature)
2 Tbs. flour
1/3 c. heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 c. additional oreos (with filling), chopped small
1 1/4 c. sugar
2 extra large eggs
2 egg yolks
1 Tbs. vanilla

What you'll need to do:
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees. Melt the butter and mix with the crushed oreos. Press into a 10-in springform pan. Put into the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
2. Turn up the oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, sugar, flour, eggs and egg yolks, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream. Use an electric mixer and blend on medium speed for one minute, then blend on high speed until all ingredients are well-mixed and the mixture is smooth.
3. Add the chopped oreos, then mix on medium speed for another minute. Oreos should be well-blended in.
4. Pour the filling into the pan with the partially-baked crust. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then turn down the oven to 325 degrees and bake for an additional 50 minutes. I would recommend checking the cheesecake after 40 minutes. Cheesecake will be fairly firm in the center and not move much when you jiggle the pan.
5. Remove from oven and let cool. Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours and serve cold.

Enjoy! This dessert has the Scooter Seal of Approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment