The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Friday, May 20, 2011

My favorite recipe: quick and easy

I admit that it's hard to do complex cooking when working full time. It's even harder during a semester when my evenings are taken up by schoolwork. It's one of the reasons I always take advantage of my time on the weekends and get as much cooking time in as I can.

However, sometimes even then I don't have the time for a complex meal. I have a few projects going on right now: getting my garden going (I'll post pictures for sure this weekend), finally getting the shelving into the apartment that Scooter and I have been wanting, and various projects that family and friends ask for help with (mom's garden improvements, aunt moving to a new house, etc.). For times like these, it's really nice having a repertoire of recipes that I can use that involve 1) little prep, 2) few ingredients, and either 3) cook relatively fast or 4) don't need me to watch the food. A couple of years ago, my best friend K gave me a book called The Four Ingredient Cookbook. This week's recipe is taken from there. Here's a fast and easy way to make honey mustard chicken.

What you'll need:
1/2 c. Miracle Whip dressing (I used the Light)
2 Tbs. dijon mustard
1 Tbs. honey
4 skinless/boneless chicken breasts

What you'll need to do:
1. Set oven to the "Broil" setting and raise rack if necessary.
2. Mix together the Miracle Whip dressing, dijon mustard, and honey until it's well combined.
3. Brush the chicken breasts with about half of the dressing mixture and place in a pyrex or metal pan to broil.
4. Broil 8-10 minutes on each side, longer if the pieces are thicker. After turning the chicken, brush on the remaining mixture. Serve with risotto.

I know that there are some people who don't like the taste of Miracle Whip, and I have to say that by itself it would not be my first choice of condiment. However, when mixed with the dijon and honey, the flavor of it is definitely diffused. Those who are not fond of the dressing may still like this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment