The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Reflections and Risotto

I don't rant very much, but every so often I hear or read something that makes me want to shake some sense into people. On my way to work, I heard the local radio morning show talking about a new poster for an upcoming Yogi Bear movie. Apparently, people are protesting the appearance because it's "inappropriate" and contains sexual innuendo. I looked at the picture in question and all I have to say is COME ON! If I hadn't heard about the picture's apparent double meaning, I never would have thought that on my own. I'm getting sick and tired of people reading meanings into pictures/books/movies/anything than what is there and/or intended. Sometimes I wonder if there are people who sit around, sifting through books and media, just waiting to find something they deem questionable to cry "Inappropriate! We must protest!" Human behavior never ceases to astound me in its insanity. /end rant

Ok, now that that's over with, time to get on to this week's recipe: risotto. This is one of my favorite recipes, and I have used it many a time for something good and comforting. It was actually passed on to me by my best friend, and it's a recipe easy to adapt to your personal taste. You can use it for either a main dish or to compliment something else you want to serve.

Here is what you'll need:
4 c. chicken broth (or vegetable broth to make it vegetarian)
2 Tbs. butter
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 small to medium onion (chopped into small pieces)
5-6 button mushrooms (chopped into small pieces)
2-3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 1/2 c. arborio rice
1/2 c. dry white wine
1/2 c. grated cheese (whatever you prefer--parmigiano reggiano or chedder are my go-tos)
salt and fresh ground pepper (optional)

Here's what to do:
1. Put the broth in a saucepan and set it to simmer.
2. In a deep skillet, melt the butter into the olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onions, and mushrooms and saute for about 3 minutes. Add the arborio rice and saute for another 2 minutes.
3. Add the wine to the rice and let it cook away, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the broth two ladels at a time. Let it absorb into the rice each time before adding another two ladels.
5. After broth has been completely absorbed, turn off the heat, stir in the cheese, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

That's it! Risotto is not that hard to make. The great thing about it is that you can add whatever you want with the rice, like additional veggies or some small pieces of meat. And the garlic, onion, or mushrooms can be omitted if you don't like them. I personally like to serve it on the side with chicken that I've fried up in olive oil and garlic (can you tell I'm Italian?). One thing I would recommend is using a nice drinking wine. One of the "rules" about cooking with wine is to use a wine that you would want to drink for the food. So crack open that bottle of white that you like so much, put some in the risotto, and have the rest with dinner. It will taste yummy, I promise!

If you have something that you love in your risotto, let me know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment