The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Almost to the halfway mark!

I'm starting my fourth semester now, and I'm thrilled to have made it so far. After the semester ends in May, I will officially have reached the halfway point (yay!) of my program. It's certainly been challenging, and this semester may be one of the most challenging yet.

I have almost an oxymoronic attitude about my two classes that can be summed up in two words: nervous anticipation. I'm looking forward to sharpening my web development skills, and my instructor in that class is someone who does website creation and development for a living. I think the instructor and I will get along quite well. One line from the class green sheet reads "If a student has experience using Dreamweaver or some other...software package, it will not be allowed. To truly learn how to code, one must code." That is the philosophy I have worked by in my own ventures into web page creation. I refused to try using a software to help me because I knew the only way I would learn is if I did it myself--and I still do everything by hand in Notepad (old habits die hard, I suppose). Maybe this way is more time-consuming, but I feel I understand much better what to do and why to do it. I'm also looking forward to my cataloging class. It's not something I want to do all the time once I get my degree, but my reference class instructor highly recommended taking a cataloging class in order to better understand how and why resources are entered into the library catalog in the manner that they are. I personally think that it's a good idea for any librarian to have a decent grasp of what the various library departments do (and how they do it). It helps to build a respect for colleagues in other areas and makes the librarian better at her job because she knows how the parts of the library fit together as a whole.

So yes, I'm anticipating what I'll be learning and the skills I'll develop. However, as I've examined the syllabi and gone over some of the other material my instructors have provided, I'm starting to ask "What have I gotten myself into?" These two classes will both require a lot of work. I will need to stay on task and really manage my time well as both will require not only reading work, but also weekly assignments. It looks like that there are no papers to write and no really large projects until the final project is due. This is good, but I will still need to stay on my toes.

Well, as Doris Day's song says, "que sera sera." I'll do my best and what happens, happens. In the meantime, here is another crock pot recipe that Scooter and I tried on Monday. It's a perfect recipe to put together in the morning. It'll be done in plenty of time for dinner. So, from my crock pot cook book comes "Pollo Colorado."

What you'll need:
2 medium-size yellow onions
2 red bell peppers
2 frozen boneless chicken breasts (do not thaw)
2 frozen chicken thighs (do not thaw)
2 Tbs. garlic powder
28-oz. can of enchilada sauce (mild, medium, or hot to your taste)
Warm corn or flour tortillas
Shredded cheese (optional)

What you'll need to do:
1. Peel and slice the onions. Seed and slice the red bell peppers. Put into a medium or large crock pot and toss together to mix.
2. Place the frozen chicken on top of the vegetables.
3. Pour the enchilada sauce over the chicken and sprinkle the garlic powder on top.
4. Cover and cook on the LOW setting for 5 to 7 hours.
5. Remove any bones from the chicken thighs and serve with the shredded cheese and tortillas.

Dark meat will help add some flavor, but you can choose to stick with white meat and use 3 to 4 frozen chicken breasts as the original recipe calls for. The mixture will be very saucy and the sauce will be thin--you can thicken the sauce a bit with a milk and flour mixture added to the crock pot and allowed to cook for 15 to 20 minutes. If you wish, you can eat it over rice instead of having it with tortillas (Scooter like it this way). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment