The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Tea Time

Before classes start getting hectic, I wanted to do some baking. I haven't done much lately and I've missed making yummy treats to have on hand for a quick snack. I rediscovered a tiny book on my shelves titled "A Little English Book of Teas" which has a lot of recipes one can make for tea. I thought it would be fun for me to make something for Sunday Tea for myself (it ended up being me and Scooter).

The book is a really cool little collection. Recipes include tea sandwiches, biscuits/scones, cookies, and cakes--even ice cream and jam. I experimented with three recipes--all of which I liked and two of which could make an appearance at this year's Mother's Day Tea (if we have one). (K, you'll be getting some fresh-made samples this weekend--I wanted to test the recipes first!)

It's funny how this tea tradition started. K (my best friend) and I found a tea shop that served high Victorian tea down the street from where she used to live. The tea shop has all kinds of tea-related supplies--including many beautiful pots and tea cups--as well as the tea room. K and I spent many weekends there having tea and looking around at all the goodies, so much so that the owner got to know us on a first-name basis. K and I got inspired and we started doing an annual Mother's Day Tea for the ladies in my family. I've been hooked on tea time ever since.

I know this is not "on topic" for this blog, but it stands as an intro for the recipes I'm going to post today and tomorrow. The first one is banana pecan loaf, from my wonderful little tea book. The other two will follow tomorrow.

What you'll need:
1/2 c. margarine
3/4 c. dark brown sugar
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas
1/2 c. chopped pecans (can also use walnuts as the original recipe calls for)
2 1/4 c. self-rising flour*
1 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbs. milk

What you'll need to do:
1. Grease an 8-inch loaf pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, use an electric beater to cream the margarine and sugar together. Peel and mash the bananas, add to the mixture and blend in.
3. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each egg is added.
4. Fold in the flour and baking powder, stir in the nuts and milk, and mix until well combined.
5. Pour into prepared pan and bake in the oven for 1 hour or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean. Cool on a wire rack.
*Can substitute with 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour, 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp + pinch baking soda, 1/2 tsp. salt

This recipe will create a loaf that is more like the consistency of bread, rather than the cake-like loafs that many banana bread recipes create. A little margarine spread on a slice with a cup of tea is the perfect tasty snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment