The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Web Creator Pro?

I feel like I just accomplished a big milestone. For my web development class, I designed a website intended to be the "new look" for a librarian organization (the Progressive Librarians Guild) I've been doing some basic web work for since the beginning of 2011. My previous assistance with their site was nothing more than what someone with a good eye for detail could learn on their own if they had the inclination. In other words, really basic stuff (HTML code for those in the know). But my web development class of course greatly strengthened my skill, and I know how to do a lot more: HTML4 and 5, XHTML, CSS3, and a little XML, PHP, and JavaScript. My toolbox has grown exponentially.

My instructor starting us thinking about our course projects early. I initially thought of something like a pathfinder (a resource providing information on a topic), but I really wasn't enthusiastic about this idea. To me, it just seemed like a ho-hum topic that would do nothing more than fulfill the minimum of the project assignments. Then one morning while I was getting ready for work, I had an epiphany: I could make a website for the PLG. It would be perfect; I would have the ability to improve the look of their site (the old site needed a bit of a make-over), clean up the code, and do something that would be personally meaningful--and get a grade for it.

Long story short, I did have to tweak the style slightly to meet the tastes of the organization's coordinating committee, as well as adjust some of the content, but the response has been overwhelmingly enthusiastic and they want to make me an honorary member. That gesture alone made the whole project worth it. To have something I did be useful (and I get to see it be useful immediately), and to be able to contribute at this level really made my day yesterday. I feel honored and privileged to have had this project so well received. We're still nailing down some of the details, tucking in here, adjusting a bit there, but it is close to being finished and going live. And when it does, perhaps I'll post a link to the new page so you can see it.

I already have another project lined up: upgrading and redoing the website for the library I work at. That will be my summer project, and one I hope to have completely done by the time I start my next semester again in the fall.

So once the new PLG site is up, does that mean I've turned pro?

No comments:

Post a Comment