The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Friday, June 8, 2012

The End

A piece of real meteorite at the pillar for the Asteroid Belt
Today was much warmer than it has been the rest of the time I've been here. And for whatever reason, I thought it would the perfect day to walk to the Sciencenter (as they spell it). The plan was to walk the path of the solar system from the Commons. The solar system is marked by stone pillars for each planet, the Sun, and Asteroid Belt for a total of 11 pillars that are spaced according to their actual relative differences in our solar system.

We started off okay, and got all the way to Uranus. Then things started going awry. The pillars have arrows pointing to the next pillar traveling inward and outward. However, the arrows are rather vague and point in a general direction. So after Uranus, we took a wrong turn and walked...and walked...and walked without seeing the next pillar. In short, we lost the path. Not good on a hot day when we didn't think to bring water. And my phone proved that it is living up to the name Worthless Piece of Crap because the map app I have refused to work (despite having a full signal and full web access). We finally backtracked and found the Sciencenter. Sadly, it wasn't like what I thought it was. I was expecting a Lawrence Hall of Science-type museum; it was more like Dora the Explorer meets Mr. Wizard--definitely for a much younger audience. So we walked back to the car, but it was much easier to get back.

The Ithaca Wegmans store
We made a stop at Wegmans for some stuff for dinner--we were going to make Italian: risotto with asparagus and veal scalloppini with Marsala. And because that wasn't enough, BD pulled out a can of real fois gras. He even made us toast points. Mom, you would have been so proud of our spread.

Now, I'm just relaxing after such a fine meal and listening to NPR. I've had so much fun on this trip, but I will be glad to get home to Scooter, my family, and my kitties. This will be my last post from my trip. Ithaca has certainly gained a place in my heart, and I hope not to have to wait too long before returning. If you have been following this one of my adventures, I hope you've had as much fun reading as I have had writing about it. Regular blog topics will resume next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment