The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Seafood Pasta

For those of you that like seafood (I personally LOVE it), here's a really easy recipe for a good seafood pasta. Scooter and I made it up for dinner last night, and I must say it turned out wonderful!

What you'll need:
2 small or 1 medium white onion
1 1/2 to 2 Tbs. olive oil
1 head of garlic, peeled and chopped fine
1 to 2 lbs. seafood*
1 jar of vodka pasta sauce
1/4 tsp. brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. pasta, cooked (your choice of type)
grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

What you'll need to do:
1. Chop the white onion into small pieces. In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and the onion. Cook the onion, occasionally stirring, until softened. Add the garlic and cook, still stirring, until the garlic first starts to turn a golden brown.
2. Add the seafood and continue occasionally stirring. Cook for about 5 minutes, longer if you have thick chunks of fish. Add the pasta sauce and bring to a boil.
3. Once the sauce mixture is slowly boiling, lower heat to medium-low and let simmer for another 3-4 minutes. Add the brown sugar, stirring it completely into the sauce. Taste for salt and pepper (you may not need either--Scooter and I didn't).
4. Remove pasta sauce from heat and serve immediately over warm cooked pasta. Sprinkle with the grated cheese if desired.

*Whatever tickles your fancy. Scooter and I used a bag of uncooked frozen calamari, clams, imitation crab meat, and shrimp that I found in the frozen food section. If you buy frozen seafood, thaw it overnight in your refrigerator. For food safety reasons, do not leave seafood on your counter top to thaw!

You can be the decider of whether you want to eat the sauce with penne, linguine, macaroni, or any other type of pasta. To make this even more the bee's knees (if I may borrow a term from decades ago), eat it with garlic bread--it's so good!

One last thing for today (and rather off-topic it is): I submitted my application for a grad award offered by the school where I'm taking my MLIS program. I give another sincere thanks to the instructors that provided me with letters of recommendation and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get the award. A special thanks to my boss who has also supported my decision to apply for the award!

No comments:

Post a Comment