The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Creating Guides

My first and current project for my internship is putting together a guide that will teach MCFL staff how to create blog posts on their staff site. The original guide was a "quick and dirty" how-to that went over the basic steps--essentially providing just enough information to allow the staff to create said content. However, now the task is to create a guide that will be much more illustrative and provide information on some of the other things they can add to their blog post (as well as include the basics found in the first guide).

Before I even started the project, I took a look at the available guides--the original guide that my work will replace and another guide created for posting blogs on the library's public site. The former gave me an idea of what skill level I would need to accommodate, and the latter let me see an example of a much more complete guide that included illustrations. It is important when creating anything to know your audience and make sure that you are keeping in mind the lowest denominator (aka the lowest skill level) of those that will be using it. This is actually a concept that came up in my first coding class of my MLIS program. To be truly "user friendly," your content will need to reach the greatest number of users possible. Because I knew that screenshots of the pages would be particularly helpful for those less computer savvy, this was my first step. I took a number of screenshots, from the log-in page for the staff all the way through the process to where they save and publish their blog entry.

My next step was to start outlining the process--using language that was not heavy in technical jargon, of course--and editing the screenshots to serve as useful illustrations. This is the part I'm still in the process of completing. As I've been editing, I've realized that there are additional screenshots of particular buttons/features that I now want to include. I'm hoping that this guide doesn't become TOO big with everything that I would like to put in it. I haven't been given a maximum page length, but I know that the longer the guide the less likely anyone will read the entire thing. It needs to be useful both in content and in length; since this is for library staff, I must assume that my audience does not have a lot of free time to read a lengthy how-to guide.

I actually made a discovery as I was doing this (never stop trying to learn new things!). I'm creating the original guide using Microsoft Word, with the intent to convert it into a .pdf file for the format that will actually be made available to the library's staff; this is done both for longevity and to make sure users can't accidentally delete content of the guide and not know how to bring it back, which I can foresee happening with an editable Word file (yes I know editing can be restricted, but that can create problems if passwords to allow future changes are lost). Anyway, as I was using Word, I discovered the beauty of text boxes (something I've never used in Word before because c'mon, it's Word!). One in particular was of a style very appropriate to that of the guide, so now I'm using it to compartmentalize information that may seem like a "duh!" kind of thing for those with my skill level, but would not be immediately obvious to those with less computer comfort. That way, more experienced users can easily skip over this information and spend less time reading/skimming through text they don't need. It's a way to increase accessibility through visual cues. Neat, huh?

I'm very pleased with how the guide has turned out so far and hope to have it completed by tomorrow (I would prefer to finish it today). I've definitely enjoyed letting my creativity play a major role in the design--perhaps this is a skill set I can continue to work on and use to market myself for future library positions.

3 comments:

  1. That's the kind of work I like best! (I get to do some of it at my day job, but not as much as I'd prefer.) I hadn't thought about using text boxes in Word (and I had to look it up, as to me a text box is a field in which to edit text, like for a Google search - I see the distinction now), but I agree they seem to add a certain polish to the format. What program do you use for your screenshots? There are so many, but I was introduced to Greenshot and stuck with it for easy flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The text box idea was rather serendipitous. As for the screenshots, I'm managing OK with a combination of Paint and Microsoft's Picture Manager program that comes with the Office package (it's what I'm used to since that's what I have at work and we can't install our own programs). At home I use Adobe Photoshop Elements since I had to purchase the software for a class. I would definitely be interested in finding out about some good free or open source programs that would be just as good if not better for picture editing.

      Delete
  2. Greetings Sarah,
    I’m a current SLIS student and the student assistant writer for the Community Profiles on the SLIS website, which features outstanding students, alum, and faculty such as you. We're interested in writing a profile on you based on the SLIS Descriptor story you wrote last fall: https://slisgroups.sjsu.edu/alasc/wp-descriptor/?p=758

    If you're interested in being featured, I'd like to set up a 20 minute phone or Blackboard interview at your convenience to talk about your studies and current work in the field of LIS. You will be able to view and edit the profile before it is published. You can view current profiles here: http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/community-profiles or on the SLIS homepage: http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/

    Thank you for considering this opportunity. As a student, I find it very inspiring to read about other students' course work and professional experiences. Please let me know if you're interested, or not, at this time. I look forward to speaking with you!
    Sincerely,
    Julia Chambers (jhbchambers@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete