The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Oh no! I have graphophobia!

The title doesn't refer to me, but some of the new students that may be coming into the MLIS program. Graphophobia is the fear of writing, and while many students may not be literally scared of writing, many still don't like it. The dislike can come from a number of reasons including:
  • I have nothing to write about
  • No one wants to see my work
  • I'm not any good
  • I don't know where to start
  • I can't take the criticism
  • I prefer to say what I want, not write it
Does any of this sound familiar? You're not alone by any means if it does. I don't claim to be an expert in writing, but I do like to write, so I will add my two cents in the hopes that my students will perhaps be a little less apprehensive.

Some students may think you have to be born a good writer, but good writing is not really an inborn talent. You have to learn how to write, and then you have to practice. I was lucky enough to have a great high school English teacher that understood the writing process and how to help her students develop writing skills. You don't have to start big; in fact, you want to start small. In English class, we started with paragraphs before we moved on to whole essays. In our MLIS program, there are two classes that will help you build both research and writing skills. You won't be starting as small as a paragraph, but you will be starting with smaller assignments that will build on each other before you create the final project.

In LIBR 200, which many of my students will probably be starting tomorrow, students will learn about and create various types of writing assignments; while many of the assignments vary by instructor, each section does seem to require a final/major paper. These assignments all teach an aspect of research and how to write a particular type of work; even though each assignment requires writing, each one is approached differently based on the type of piece required. In LIBR 285, students explore the formal research paper writing process step-by-step over the course of the semester. The assignments build on each other and while the student produces a research proposal (rather than a publication-ready paper), the class supports building writing skills along with research skills.

By now, my students may be asking themselves "Oh no! How much writing will I have to do then?" Other than what's required by the core classes, it really depends. The core classes are fairly consistent in the level of writing required between sections, but when you get to the electives it's completely dependent upon the course content and how the instructor chooses to present/teach that content. There will be other classes that require writing assignments, but the assignments would be in line with the content of the course and the SLOs (Student Learning Outcomes). What this means is that a writing assignment may demand something much more informal than a research paper. I would like to point out that not taking a class you want to just because it may require a lot of writing is folly; one of the best ways to overcome a dislike of writing is to write about something you like or love. If the class interests you and it will support your librarian/information professional career goals, take it; you want to get the most out of your program, and you only have 43 units to do so.

"So what do I do if I can't write well?" I hear you asking. Well, there are writing resources provided by SLIS that I strongly recommend you to check out. First, check the Writing Resources for Students page. You'll find a lot of sources there to help guide you through every aspect of the writing process. And for those students that need additional support, online tutoring is available. SLIS provides tutoring services so SLIS students can get help from tutors that are also SLIS students. So struggling students can work with those that understand from first-hand experience the types of assignments and writing demands they face. And to round out the writing resources SLIS students have at their fingertips, there are recordings of past writing workshops that students can watch to help build better writing skills. So fellow students, if you are timid when it comes to penning your work, fear not! Take advantage of the help available to you and you too could be writing better and more confidently.

Not being able to write (or disliking writing) is not the end of the world. With a little practice and support, you may find that you actually enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment