The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Easy Beef Recipe for Your Crockpot

Now that I have a bigger kitchen to work in, I've been doing a lot more cooking lately, even during the week. Planning my meals has become part of my weekend routine, and I've been cracking more of my recipe books open to choose what Scooter and I will have for our dinners. Last night's dinner was a recipe I've had my eye on for about a week and a half, and the original came from my Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly cook book. Here's a hearty and healthy beef stew.

What you'll need:
1 c. uncooked wild rice
1 c. celery, chopped (about 1 1/2 - 2 stalks)
1 c. carrots, chopped (about 2 medium carrots)
2 4-oz. cans mushrooms, drained
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 c. slivered almonds
3 beef bouillon cubes
salt and pepper to taste
2 lbs. boneless round steak
1 Tbs. Worcester sauce
3 c. water

What you'll need to do:
1. Rinse and drain the wild rice, then put it into the bottom of a 5-quart+ crock pot.
2. Add the celery, carrots, mushrooms, onion, almonds, bouillon cubes, and salt and pepper.
3. Cut the steak into bite-sized pieces and place in the crock pot on top.
4. Add the Worcester sauce and water.
5. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.*

*If you forget to prepare it in time to allow for normal cooking time, you can also cook on low for 2 hours, then cook 2 hours on high.

This was actually a lot tastier than I thought it would be. The wild rice has a great texture, and the beef bouillon and Worcestor sauce add great flavor. Scooter wants to try this recipe and substitute some of the water for Guinness to add even more rich flavor.

I hope you enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment