The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Journey Has Begun


Never in a million years did I think I would be here right now. "Here" being on the precipice of going for a Master's Degree.



It's been an interesting trip down this road that has been my education. I guess this is indicative of my life in general--I never seem to do things the "normal" way. My brother would be the perfect poster child for the story of an aspiring run-of-the-mill college/grad student. He did things very by the book. He started right after high school, finished in four years, went on to grad school, and is now in his second year going for his PhD.



I, on the other hand, have danced to my own beat. I finished my Bachelor's in just under six years. I took my time mainly because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for a career. I thought teaching would be a good choice for me. Then I spent one year (my first year teaching) as a sixth-grade teacher at a school in a very tough part of Stockton. I can sense the natural cringe from those who are familiar with the area. To give others not familiar with this part of the country an idea, the year was rife with knife incidents, fights, and a police raid next door. Yes, it really was that bad. I felt so out of my element. It was certainly a wake-up call that teaching was maybe not for me.



Then I got a job at a trade school. I didn't start out as the Librarian, but that's where I have ended up. I started as the tutor for incoming students before they take the entrance exam. When the position for Library Coordinator opened up, I jumped at the chance and took it. And surprisingly, I found a match made in heaven. Late last year, I was made full Librarian. I really enjoy what I do, and I feel a strong sense of accomplishment with what I have been able organize for the Learning Resource Center at the school. It was my kinship with this career that inspired me to go further with my education in order to make me even better at what I do.



And who knows? This may open up other doors for me. But never did I realize that a Master's was in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment