The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Monday, August 16, 2010

A taste of the garden

I'm currently pleased with the progress I've made in my first class. I've been able to maintain a steady pace with my studies, and have found a (tentative) balance with school and work. However, I realize that this is a one-unit class, so it's not a real test of my skills. That will come in exactly nine days when my regular three-unit class starts. My hope is that I will be comfortable enough with this upcoming class and be able to balance well so that I will be confident enough to take on a slightly heavier load during the spring semester. I'll know soon enough.

I did have a bit of a cooking adventure this last weekend. I found not one, but two recipes that I wanted to try (one sweet, one savory) for dinner. I ended up cooking over at my parents' house where I was able to take advantage of the fresh zucchini in my mom's garden for my savory dish. In fact, the bounty of her garden was able to grace virtually every dish of the very delicious dinner. Aside from the two recipes I used for the meal, my mom also decided to make stuffed zucchini flowers. Only recently has some of the more elite restaurants in California wine country started serving this particular dish. What does my mom have to say about that? "They think that's so new and interesting. I've been eating these since I was a little girl."

I have to say that there is something so incredible, almost magical, about being able to go out to the garden, pick fresh vegetables that you planted with your own hands, and use them in your cooking. It really underscores the "homemade" in good home cooking. Currently, my mom's garden is rife with tomato, cucumber, zucchini, lettuce, artichoke, beans, onion, and garlic (all of which I planted for her). We hope to get the beets in soon too. Our peppers and squash didn't do so well this year, but everything else has taken off--especially the beans (we picked 3-5 lbs of string beans yesterday afternoon!).

Okay, so now to this week's recipe: sweet and smoky salmon kabobs. These were really good and had a nice little kick to them from the spices. They were also very easy to make, and they are healthy too!

Here is what you'll need:
12 metal or bamboo skewers
2 1/4 lbs. salmon fillets (skinned and cut into 1 1/2 in chunks)
2-3 medium zucchini cut into 1/4-in. slices
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper (optional)

Here's what to do:
1. Combine sugar, paprika, chili powder, red pepper, and the salt and pepper (if desired) into a large zip lock bag. Zip closed and shake the bag to mix up all the spices, and use your fingers to break up any chunks of the brown sugar. Open the bag and add the salmon and zucchini. Zip the bag closed (don't deflate the bag before closing). Shake the bag to coat the salmon and zucchini with the spices, using your hands to move things around through the bag as necessary until everything is evenly coated. You can do this well ahead of time (a few hours or so) and leave the bag in the fridge until you're ready to skewer and cook.
2. If you're using bamboo skewers, soak them in hot water for at least 30 minutes before you put on the salmon and zucchini. When they have been soaked, thread on the salmon and zucchini in any pattern you desire until you have no more of either. Try to assimilate any leftover pieces onto the skewers you've already made.
3. Grill on a barbecue for 9 to 11 minutes, turning the skewers occasionally, until salmon turns light pink in the center. Enjoy with something tasty on the side!

The original recipe can be found here. I also made fried peach pies (as well as helping with the zucchini blossoms). I have to say that the pies are a little more involved than the other recipes I've posted, and I don't want to scare away any new cooks. Please leave a message if you would like these other recipes posted.

If anyone has any recipes they would like me to try, please let me know! In the words of Julia Child, "Bon appétit!"

No comments:

Post a Comment