The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Even I Had Questions as a New Student

When I need to think through something and plan, I write things down. I write down lists of what I could decide on, questions I have, things to consider--basically anything remotely related that I think of gets written down. When I was trying to figure out the logistics of my program (and everything that entailed), it was no different.

I even went to visit my advisor. Since I live within driving distance of the campus and she is also within driving distance, I was able to meet with her on campus one day before the start of my program. I had a list of questions that I took in with me. Now, mind you, I had done some research on the program and MLIS programs at other schools before applying at the campus where I now attend. And I was working full-time--as I am now--so I knew I couldn't speed through my program as fast as I would like. When I took my first steps on the campus on my way to her office, I already had a general idea of how I expected my program to go (which I find hilarious because I've drifted somewhat from my original plan).

So here are the questions I asked my advisor on that summer afternoon and her responses:

1. Which of the 200, 202, and 204 classes should I plan to take my first semester if I only plan to take one of them? Take 200. It will fulfill the writing requirement.


2. Is there a limit to the amount of time that a student can take to finish the MLIS degree? 7 years.

3. Regarding internships, are they a mandatory part of the program? If so, can I consider my current position as librarian for internship credit? They are not required. There is a database of internship opportunities. One credit is equal to 45 hours in an internship. There may be weekend internship opportunities. (I don't know if this was before virtual internships, but those work well for those with full-time positions or that won't be able to be on-site due to geography.)

4. Can students exceed the 43 unit requirement for the program? No.

5. In your experience, how often should online students plan to be "online"? Approx. how many times a week do students typically log on? To be successful, plan on logging on every day. Also, be active on the discussion forum!

6. How accelerated are the summer courses? 10 weeks instead of 14 or 15 weeks.

7. Does the schedule of summer courses change from year to year or are there some courses that are always offered at this time? Check the class rotation list.

8. Do the "seminar" classes work any different than the other classes? No, they are done the same.

9. Can students who have earned their MLIS degree from the SJSU program come back and take other courses offered after they graduate? No. (This was before the department began offering the Post Master's Certificate Program.)

Some other advice my advisor gave me was to follow the new student checklist and read it carefully. She suggested becoming organized by using a calendar for important things and logging in frequently. She also mentioned scholarships available through the school and possible grants from ALA. The last piece of advice she gave me was to get involved. Being a distance student is hard (we are so isolated at times it seems), and getting involved in the program or the school in some way can help to build connections. Joining and participating in some of the student organizations--SLISConnect, ALASC (ALA Student Chapter), etc.--would be great experience and are ways to build your resume. I ended up becoming the Student Representative on one of the department's governance committees and got to help with the self-assessment for the program for next year's accreditation!

To all my new students, we all have questions when we first begin. Don't hesitate to ask yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment