The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Monday, July 29, 2013

To the New Online Student -- How Do You Do It?

For the new online student, becoming a student in a virtual classroom--while still keeping up life and work obligations--may seem like a huge undertaking. Back when I first started my online program I was worried that I wouldn't be able to handle school on top of everything else I had to do, despite my determination to succeed. For many of us that enter this MLIS program, we aren't coming in fresh off the BA/BS boat; it's been some time since we last were in school, be it a few years or even a few decades. We have jobs that we can't leave for school because, let's admit it, we need that paycheck. We have families that all require time from our day. And sometimes we just need to take a break and spend an hour or two reading, playing another couple rounds of Mario Kart, gardening, crafting, cooking, walking, or whatever else it is that we enjoy. So in our already busy lives, is it even possible to do it all? Today, I can tell you IT CAN BE DONE!

Three big things come to mind when I think of how I made it all work for me: motivation, organization, and scheduling. Motivation is what keeps me going, the drive to check in with my course several times a week (and sometimes at least once a day) and complete all reading and assignments on time. The amount of reading you'll do varies from course to course. Some have a lot of reading--textbook, articles, additional content--and some have less just because of the nature of the course content (such as LIBR 240, where you learn how to code in HTML and CSS). The assignments also vary from class to class. Some classes have several papers or assignments due over the course of the semester. Others have one big project that you work cumulatively on over the entire semester. Finding a way to stay motivated will help you to stay on top of everything you need to do. My motivation is getting my diploma in May of next year (which will open doors and give me more options of where I can take my career from here). Why are you in this program? What do you hope to do after you finish? Answering these questions can help you find a reason to be motivated and do your best.

But motivation isn't all you need. There's a lot to keep track of: deadlines, readings, assignments, lectures, discussions, etc. Online students also would do well to find a way to stay organized. I use my calendar in Outlook to record class lectures and deadlines, and set up reminders so that I don't forget them. Each course gets a binder or manila folder (depending on how much I have to keep track of) where I can put the course syllabus, articles (I'm someone that needs to print them out so I can highlight and write on them), assignment descriptions, and any other notes I may have. I use post-its to mark important sections in my textbooks. If I'm feeling overwhelmed by the amount of work it seems like I have to do for an assignment, I make a to-do list and break it down into smaller tasks; each task I accomplish gets checked off and I'm much less likely to forget something. I log into my course site regularly to make sure that I don't miss important information. It sounds like a lot of work (and it is!), but doing some work each day helps to keep it all under control and prevent you from falling behind. Courses seem to go by really fast, so it's hard to catch up if you fall behind.

Scheduling your time can work really well to make sure you're giving everything (including job and life) enough time and attention. For me, I would schedule time to work on school during my lunch hour, at night when I get home from my job, and on the weekends. Sometimes I find other opportunities to work on school; but even if I don't, I know I have enough time for course work because I've scheduled it in. I also schedule time to do something fun--I need breaks/downtime, too! My scheduling method is really informal (I tend to just note down general times), and others may find that they need to put together a day-by-day calendar where they can fill in exact times for things. This is fine, but keep in mind that things can change; assignment deadlines could be pushed back, readings could be switched around, or unexpected things in life could come up--all of which might affect your schedule. So schedule away, but be flexible.

There is a learning period when jumping into an online program. You're not necessarily going to get everything perfectly balanced when you first start. Find your groove, be as organized as you need to be, build a schedule that works for you, and stay motivated!

No comments:

Post a Comment