The perfect blend of good food, good books, and whatever else I toss in.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pork Tenderloin With Apricot Jam

I love apricot jam. It is the one jam that I always have in my fridge. I don't even need to make anything to eat with it; just a small piece of sliced bread from the bag is enough for me. My mom makes the best homemade apricot jam, and I just got two jars from her over the weekend. I had a pork tenderloin that I had been meaning to cook, and what could go better with pork than apricot jam? Okay, you may have another preference, but I like combining sweet substances with pork (for example, bacon tastes outstanding with maple syrup).

So here is a recipe for making a pork tenderloin with apricot jam. And even better, it's for a slow cooker.

What you'll need:
1 pork tenderloin, about 2 lbs. (can be frozen)
2 c. baby carrots
1 med. red onion, thinly sliced
1 c. chicken stock
1 jar apricot preserves*
2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1 large spring of fresh thyme
Salt and pepper

What you'll need to do:
1. Place the onions and carrots into the bottom of a slow cooker (not sure how big it needs to be, but mine is at least 4 quarts).
2. Season the pork loin with salt and pepper and place on top of the carrots and onions. If using a frozen pork loin that's on the large size, you may have to partially thaw it in order to fit it into the slow cooker.
3. Mix the chicken stock, apricot preserves, and Dijon mustard together. Pour over the pork loin and add the sprig of thyme.
4. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. If using a frozen or partially frozen pork loin, increase cooking time by 1-2 hours.

*There are jars of different sizes out there, so find one that is at least 12-14 oz. Otherwise, you'll not be able to taste much apricot.

You may need to add more salt and pepper to the dish before eating it. I found that I needed more than what I seasoned my pork loin with; I got a mostly sweet flavor, rather than a balance between sweet and salty that I prefer. You can serve this with rice (my preference) or potatoes. Or just use a couple thick slabs of bread to soak up the sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment